Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chloe's Story Part 1

Hi Everyone! I'm finally blogging again. Sam asked me how long it'd been - it looks like forever based off of our site. Anyway, I guess people are asking for the entire story of how Chloe was born and "What?! She was born in the truck?!" . So here I am with all the details of Thursday evening the 5th of June.

Thursday mid-morning I thought that I might have a slow/small amnio fluid leak and I called my doula. We figured out that it very well could've been and that maybe sometime that day I would go into labor. Well, the previous weekend I had two nights of contractions timing at 5 minutes, then 4, then 3, then 2 1/2 minutes and then disappeared. So I wasn't too worried. I felt what seemed to be braxton hicks throughout the day, painless tightening every so often, but nothing serious at all.
At 7pm I came in from talking with the neighbors to make a quick leftover dinner for the girls. I noticed that I was starting to have contractions that kind of took some concentration to go through. I couldn't heat up the quesadillas, get the girls to clean up the fishies on the floor and get through the contraction all at the same time, so I thought it might be the night and called Sam to tell him to stay close to the phone. Ten minutes or so went by with a few more contractions, no cooperation from the kids and still no dinner for them so I called my doula/neighbor 3 doors down, to come and help me. Kirsten came over by 7:15 pm and after we talked for a few minutes and went through some contractions together we called a different friend to have her come and pick up the kids. No one we originally talked to about taking the kids was home! Figures, ya know?
So Larissa came and picked up the girls around 7:30pm which by then I really had to concentrate through the contractions and couldn't speak through them. I was trying hard not to let the girls see that it was tough because they were really worried. After they left we called Sam to tell him to come home and this was the real deal. While we were waiting for him the contractions were really coming on and Kirsten decided we should get the hospital. So at 7:45pm we called Sam to tell him to meet us at the hospital and he had just gotten onto the freeway in Sandy. Kirsten put our bags and things into the truck and then helped me out there.
We left our house just before 8 pm and when we got to the stop light down the block I was starting have really intense contractions, right on top of eachother, no breaks in between. After we turned onto 8th North I couldn't get comfortable sitting forward so I flipped myself around so I was leaning against the back of the chair, facing the back of the truck, kneeling on the chair. Finally a little relief! But after I did that I started pushing - I couldn't help it at all, and I could barely get myself to breath through the contraction so as to not push Chloe out.
Between 8:05 and 8:10 we made it to Timpanogos Regional Hospital and Kirsten pulled up into the ER entrance where she jumped out and yelled at onlookers to get an nurse because I was having the baby in the truck. After what felt like forever a nurse came and asked me to get out - I said there was no way I was doing the that because I was pushing. So she checked me to see that I hadn't crowned yet, hopped into the seat behind me and Kirsten drove us around to the maternity entrance. It wasn't very far but I was definately pushing and the nurse kept trying to get me not to push, but it was too late - Chloe was on her way.
The whole delivery team was waiting for us outside and when we stopped the nurse and Kirsten jumped out. They were trying to figure out how to get me inside because I was pushing. And while they were discussing this I pushed Chloe's head out. I couldn't tell them because I was pushing and groaning but after she was out I yelled as loud as I could, "the baby's head it out!" I was still fully dressed, so they pulled my clothes off and sure enough there she was. So I delivered Chloe the rest of the way at 8:14 pm - Kirsten called Sam and told him the baby was born and that it was a girl. He was still on the freeway, but not too far away. They took Chloe inside to the newborn admitting and I sent Kirsten with her. They took me into the delivery room where we took care of the rest of the delivery, but I had to wait 1 1/2 hours for my doctor to show up to stitch me up because he was doing an emergency c-section. Sam showed up right after I was taken into the delivery room, and a few minutes after that my mom, brother and Jen Barnes all arrived. So this is the true story of how Chloe was born in our truck in the Timp Hospital parking lot in an hour and 15 minutes. Check in again soon for part 2 - the rest of the story and new photos too! (I'm going to take a nap!)

4 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

WOWZER!!

HI Sarah!! i found you through Aimee. holy cow you have THREE babies!

it is so exciting to see so many old friends blogging i am glad you jumped on board. we have been blogging for quite some time now...almost 2 yrs i think.

ANYWAY come say hello...see what we have been up to, amd meet my little family!

i guess it's been a while (1999?) since we were living in that little apartment in Gilroy huh? good times...

anyway...gonna poke around here a little and read what you have been up to, besides having babies in TRUCKS!! lol

Mamarazzi said...

oh i forgot to say your kiddos are ADORABLE!!!

Tiffany said...

That is the most amazing story EVER! Congrats on baby girls #3. Girls are wonderful!!!! Glad to hear you're doing well Sarah. Hopefully we'll see you in a couple weeks when we get up there!

Jill said...

oh my goodness Sarah , something you will never forget and you can share the story forever. It was so fun to see you and Sam and the girls you a beautiful family... It is fun to blog so we all keep caught up. I think Nick and family may come end of august. We will have to get together again. Love you guys